Friday, October 7, 2011

By the faith of another

Matthew 15:21–28: And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.” But He did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged Him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But he came and knelt before Him, saying, “Lord, help me.” And He answered, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly.

The Lord has used this passage in powerful ways in my life; I was saved under a sermon from this place in Matthew. It is dear to my heart.

One thing I love about the bible is that it never gets old. You can read it a million times, and still find new treasures of great worth inside every verse. I like to refer to meditation and study of the texts as “wringing out the Word”...drawing all that can be found from every word.

So I was delighted that when my husband and I were reading this chapter together this week, I was struck anew by what I saw within these precious verses. Here is my meditation:

Healed by the faith of another

I have often considered this Canaanite woman’s interaction with Jesus. I resonate with her persistent approach of Him despite what appeared to be continual rejection. I resonate with her acknowledgment that while she is deserving of nothing, there are crumbs of grace to be had and she knew she could be satisfied by even a drop of what the Lord had to offer. I resonate with her in her
unwavering pursuit of mercy from the giver of mercy, and the joy of receiving the desire of her heart.

But this time, what struck me about this Canaanite woman is the content of her plea to the Lord. She came on behalf of her demon oppressed daughter. She came crying, plowing through silence, past those who sought to send her away, claiming her pitiful status and the rights that came with it...all to kneel before the Savior on behalf of another. Nothing could hold her back from the One who promised, “Whoever comes to Me I will never cast out.” (John 6:37)

And though it wasn’t the daughter who persisted through what appeared to be the silence of being ignored, or what sounded like the disapproving requests of those who surrounded the One she needed; though the daughter did not kneel, look into the Lord’s eyes and plead, “Help me!”; though the daughter never approached Jesus at all...these words were written of her, “And her daughter was healed instantly.”

Sometimes when Jesus healed, freed and redeemed people throughout His life and ministry, He did it because of their faith. But sometimes when Jesus healed, freed and redeemed people, He did it because of the faith of another.

“O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.”

O Lord, strengthen my faith! Strengthen my hands, my knees, my lips and my heart that I may pursue the good of those who cannot, will not or do not know how to come to You. May I be like this Canaanite woman who will let nothing hold her back from the crumbs of Your grace, whether they be gathered for myself or for another. And I praise You for those who have come to You with the faith through which You have healed, freed and redeemed me. It says in Hebrews 12:15, “See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God...” Lord, may my prayers, pleas and persistence in Your presence bring about the eternal good of many that they may obtain Your grace through my unwavering faith. It is only faith in You that can keep us firm to the end, Lord. I ask that You strengthen my faith for Your glory, the joy of Your people and the furthering of Your kingdom. In the worthy name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments: