Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Come as close as you/You want"

I encountered a Misty Edwards’ song the other day with the title “Come as Close as You Want.” I didn’t listen to it until after I had mused on its title for awhile.

My first thought when I heard this invitation, “Come as close as you want,” was to consider the voice of God inviting us into His presence. What an incredible, breath-taking statement of desire; for the God of ALL to want us near Himself. Whoa. And with the beauty of this articulated longing came the lament that though the Lord perseveres in His invitation to us, His voice is oftentimes ignored.

Into my mind came verses like these:
Isaiah 65:1-3a “I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask for Me; I was ready to be found by those who did not seek Me. I said, “Here am I, here am I,” to a nation that was not called by My name. I spread out my hands all the day to a rebellious people, who walk in a way that is not good, following their own devices; a people who provoke Me to My face continually...”

John 1:11“He came to His own, but His own people did not receive Him.”


The invitation of the Lord: “Come as close as you want,” He says...”In fact, I even want you to abide IN Me, to be ONE with Me, to KNOW ME as you have been known (John 15).” Accepted or rejected, both sides bring about emotive contemplations.

Then I listened to the song and read the lyrics...this is not the direction Misty Edwards went. She spoke as a person saying to the Lord, “Come as close as You want! (In fact, I even want You to abide IN me, to be ONE with me, I want to KNOW You.)”

Do I say that to the Lord? Do I extend this invitation to my Creator, Savior, King? When I hear the invitation into the presence of God, do I say, “Nah, this is close enough. I am comfortable,” or does my heart reciprocate with a longing, responsive cry, “Come as close as YOU want.”

I was grateful to have considered the title before I heard the song, because I believe this is an invitation to consider from both angles and would encourage you to meditate on these statements:

God to you: Come as close as you want.
You to God: Come as close as You want.

No comments: