Sunday, July 29, 2012

the Spirit's whispers

Today I sat in a coffee shop with the Lord and my journal, and as I poured my heart out before Him through my pen, I found this: I have definitely been threatened by doubt lately. Why doubt? Childlike faith has always been my mark--simply taking God at His word--how could I doubt? How could I, with the life I have lived and the vibrancy of God’s hand though it, doubt? Then I looked as a group at the verses that the Lord had given me over the last several weeks, that I had somehow feebly written down in the dryness of my days, and tears streamed down my face as I saw the verses He had been whispering in my ear:

Psalm 119:14: In the way of Your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.
 
Psalm 139:17-18: How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with You.
 
Ephesians 5:14b: “Awake, o sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”
 
2 Corinthians 1:20: For all the promises of God find their Yes in Him. That is why it is through Him that we utter our Amen to God for His glory.

binding doubt with Truth
©7-29-12 hannah mclean

such kindness
You who suffers long
pours on me.
when drying doubt
rests upon the stagnant air
of this deserted wilderness
choking out the breath
that is in me,
You whisper,
“rise, o sleeper,
awake to find
I am still with you.”

wicked doubt,
i bind you in
my Savior’s name
and cast you out.
i silence your goading voice
that grates upon my
childlike faith,
and deafen you with
testimony of the One
in whom my faith abides.
no matter where i go
He never leaves,
or where i fall
He never forsakes,
and though i fail
as many times as sands at sea
He is faithful
and innumerable are His thoughts
toward me.

oh You in whom
all promises are “yes”
i thank You for
Your rest.
You who have not withheld
Your only Son
blessed are You,
Father of mercy
Son of love
Spirit of hope.
firm in faith
i will stand in You
as one.

No comments: