Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Lessons from the wilderness

I went to a bible conference in Iowa this past weekend, we explored a little bit of the life of Moses; what a man, what a life. During one of the messages, we looked at lessons Moses learned during his 40 years wandering in the wilderness. I thought it would be beneficial to me to consider the things I have learned over the past 2 years of my journey through the wilderness I have trudged, walked, ran, crawled, wept and whined through. I am grateful that Moses’ God is also my God.

------------

MY LESSONS FROM THE WILDERNESS:

God provides strength for my moments simply by His presence...even if I do not have within me the power to lift my own head.

God doesn’t want me to go back...even if “back” is a good place.

I cannot and will not leave the desert unchanged.

God knows my limitations and never shames me for my weaknesses.

In the wilderness, my bottom line is revealed. (The depth of my heart, what I desire most, what is above all else...)

When distance is felt between God and myself, it is always on my part, not His.

Before the Lord, “weak” is a perfectly acceptable state of being.

God is very gentle...and the sharper the pain, the more threatened I am by doubt, the more heavy the load...the more gentle He is with me.

God is enough...in Him I have everything I need.

------------

These are a few that came to mind, some profound realities that have comforted and kept me as I have struggled, flailed and faltered since Noah died.

Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?...For He does not afflict willingly, Nor grieve the children of men...You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, THAT my glory may sing Your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever! (
Job 2:10, Lamentations 3:33, Psalm 30:11–12)

There is ALWAYS purpose to the suffering the Lord brings or allows into our lives. To me, that makes all the difference. I know that it is the twisted depth of my own nature that sometimes requires such intense pain to make straight what has been distorted, to rebuild what has been improperly erected, and to lift me from the derailing ruts I have fallen into over time. God loves me too much to leave me as I was; He desires my holiness and my wholeness and will go to any length to draw me fully to Himself.


Blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments: