Wednesday, April 1, 2015

a singular cord

goodness, mercy, steadfast love
©4-1-15 hannah mclean

my heart and faith
twist and separate and blend
like threads weaving
across moments and circumstances;

faithful is our God
to pull these strands together

You are good
i know 
Your love transcends 
i know
Your mercy rises up to meet me
i know
You are steadfast and sure
i know

and yet
i see my faith fall short 
in application

yes
my heart believes Yours
for others
calling on Your measure
to pour with liberality
in response to 
Your love
all around i wait
with joyful anticipation

but i feel my heart
pull away
from believing Your heart
for me
too wonderful Your goodness
too generous Your love
i wonder 

i could say with my lips
will it crush my frame?

but the truth is
my heart lays out excuses
none of which are valid
to support 
my doubts
my fears
my disobedience
my disbelief
my distrust

insanity
runs deep to think
that i am more trustworthy
than You

You of goodness
You of mercy
You of love
You of stability

and even as 
i sit in sober recognition
i feel You
twisting the strands
tightly around You
creating a singular cord 
of formidable strength

for You are 
too good
too merciful
too loving
too sure
to leave me splaying

faithful is our God
to pull these strands together

No comments: