Friday, April 2, 2010

today is good friday.

John 19:14–15 Now it was the day of Preparation of the Passover. It was about the sixth hour. He said to the Jews, “Behold your King!” They cried out, “Away with him, away with him, crucify him!” Pilate said to them, “Shall I crucify your King?” The chief priests answered, “We have no king but Caesar.”

Ezekiel 20:44 “And you shall know that I am the LORD, when I deal with you for My name’s sake, not according to your evil ways, nor according to your corrupt deeds, O house of Israel,” declares the Lord GOD.

Deity disdained

©4-2-10 hannah mclean

“shall i crucify your King?”
the silence that hangs
in the air
before I can continue reading
i imagine must be
louder than
the shouts that followed
pilate’s words:
“we have no king.
crucify Him.”

i imagine the robe of purple
blood-soaked royalty
adorned

i imagine the twisted crown of thorns
running with lines of scarlet
bejeweled

the words
echo through my mind
filling every corner:
“shall i crucify your King?”
“we have no king. crucify Him.”

Deity disdained
crushed beneath the weight of
a criminal’s cross

oh, Your ways, King Jesus
i cannot take in
stripped of dignity
You hang
humbled in my place

absorbing wrath
honored only in
Your Father’s eyes

i remember Your words
in Ezekiel:
“I will deal with you
for My name’s sake
not according to your evil ways
and you will know
that I am God.”

Your words are fulfilled
with me

thank You, King Jesus
bowing
i behold You

No comments: