Friday, March 8, 2013

a voice from the trenches

lift me up
©4-8-13 hannah mclean

dragged along the trenches
my body weakens as it grates across
the rocky surface
beneath my aching back
i struggle to rise
under the weight of
defeat...
declaring otherwise...
trying to convince myself
victory will come

why do You leave me here
bruised and bleeding
discouraged and tearful
floundering and afraid?

why will You not lift me up?

why do You leave me here
caked and corroded
in the pits beside the pathway
of hope
unable to stand
on my own feet
painfully aware of the insufficiency of
the strength i possess?

lift me up!
lift me out of this filthy place
encourage my heart and
remind me that i do not walk alone
Your presence matters
Your words are real
You are sufficient...
even when i cannot see You
or feel Your ever moving hand
or hear Your steady calming voice

i raise my shaking hand to You
and hoarsely whisper
“help me.
please.
please.
i cannot.”

No comments: