Monday, December 21, 2015

Unquenchable love

Many waters cannot quench love
neither can floods drown it.
Song of Solomon 8:7a


I have always liked this verse, I find myself writing it in wedding cards to newly weds because it declares a truth about real love that is assuring for the conflicts and life difficulties that will inevitably arise when you unite two sinners in marriage.

The other day while I was driving, I was talking to the Lord and this verse flooded my mind as I spoke my praise and gratitude to Him...it resulted in a prayer that went something like this:

Lord, I love You with this love; the love that hasn’t been quenched by many waters or drowned by many floods. There have been many waters, Lord, You have been with me in them. And there have been floods, You have given me breath when the waves closed over me. But there is STILL love in me for You that overflows, and it is more than when I entered in. And THAT is real love; it is a result of being in the presence of and on the receiving end of YOUR steadfast love and faithfulness. And what a wonder that is, Lord, that this faulty heart of mine could be rooted so deeply by being covered so thoroughly by the outpouring of Your love and affection. What a glorious God You are; faithful and true and kind and steadfast...so steadfast that I am steadfast because of You, so loving that I can love because of You, so generous that I can be generous because of You, so free that I can be free because of You. Thank You for Your unquenchable love, this moment I pour it back out on You. Rooted in Jesus I pray, Amen.

No comments: